Inside: Make those cute yarn apples to decorate your house or your backyard. It’s a fun and easy craft to make with your kids this fall.
We have five trees on our property, and we like to decorate them all year round. Since it’s apple season now, we decided to decorate our trees with apples (it’s an offseason for our trees, so they don’t have any real apples this year). My kids wanted a 3-D design and something that could last the whole season.
The quality of the apples will depend on the skill of the child, but the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. After my toddler played with his apple for a while, he proudly lifted up his beat-up creation and proclaimed, “My apple. I like it.”
What you need
- Red yarn (or green yarn if you are making green apples)
- School Glue (not glue stick)
- A brush to mix and apply glue
- A piece of paper or bowl for glue
- Glitter (my kids like red one for everything)
- Green pipe cleaners
- Water balloons (one for each apple you are making)
What to do
- Put a generous amount of glue on a piece of paper and add glitter to it. Mix it well with a brush.
- Cover a water balloon with the glue-glitter mixture. (Don’t worry about the shape. It’ll change once we pop the balloon).
- Wrap yarn around the balloon in any way you like. Feel free to sprinkle with extra glitter now while the glue is still wet.
- Let it dry.
Bend and twist the green pipe cleaner in the shape of leaves and stem and attach it at the top.
- Here we popped the first balloon with a tip of a pipe cleaner. Kids find this part most exciting!
- Decorate your house or your backyard.
As you can see, these apples come as different as people who make them. The most important consideration is that everyone has as much fun as possible! Don’t forget to use your apples to decorate your house, tree or each other.
More apple crafts are coming up soon. Meanwhile, check out Apple Recipes Pinterest Board, where I pin the best apple recipes I find on the internet.