If you are looking for a quick, fun activity with relatively little clean up then try our Ooey-Gooey art. My kids love to play with stuff they can moosh (is it even a word?) and squash with their bare hands, but if your kids are squeamish about having to touch stuff that is sticky, then you can put the mixture in a sealed bag. Bagged mixture can be squeezed and mushed with no mess. Just remember to tape the seal (I don’t always and then you end up with more clean up than you were looking forward to).
What you need
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup (250 mL) cornstarch
1 liter (4 cups) cold water
heavy duty sealable bag
What to do
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and cold water in a pot.
- Heat on medium until it begins to thicken (~10 minutes), stirring constantly.
This is your thickened mixture
- Divide the mixture equally into 3 containers, then add food coloring (1 color per container). Red, green and yellow is what my kids picked.
- Play with bare hands or add each color to a heavy duty sealable bag, seal the bag and tape it closed. Let them knead the bag, mixing the colors.
- My kids like to finger paint with this ooey-gooey mixture.