We love tea with lemon and honey so much we drink it every day and
some days three times before noon.
Drinking hot tea on a hot day is the best way to cool down. I always knew it worked (I’ve been drinking
hot tea in a summer all my life), but I only recently found out why. Drinking hot tea activates tongue receptors
that respond to heat (called TRPV1) and they turn on body’s cooling down
mechanisms like evaporation of perspiration and the evaporative cooling. If you want to understand it better, I liked this article
from Smithsonian magazine and another one by NPR.
boiling hot water on loose tea leaves (decaf or regular) and let it seep. After 5 minutes pour tea throw a fine mesh to get rid of leaves and add honey
and slices of lemon. Let it seep for
another 5 minutes. And now wait another
5-10 minutes till it gets to the point where a 2-year old can drink it without
burning lips. Being next to a little
child who is waiting for tea to cool down is like being stuck with a toy that
can only play “Did it cool down? Did it
cool down? Did it cool down?” I have three little children, so stuck toy x3. It was driving me crazy. Adding ice diluted the drink, but shaved off
at least five minutes of waiting. I
needed it to be even faster. What if I
made honey and lemon mixture in advance froze it and then added as needed to a freshly
brewed tea? That’s how Lemon Honey Ice was born. Now we can enjoy a freshly brewed lemon tea
in a few minutes. And we do enjoy it every
day! And here is how you can enjoy it too.
(makes two trays or 28 ice cubes)
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup water
1/2-1 cup honey
1. Heat lemon juice, water and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat until honey dissolves.
2. Cut the lemon into slices, then cut each slice into quarters. (Remove the seeds, if you wish).
3. Put a wedge into each section of an ice cube tray and pour lemon syrup on top.
4. Freeze overnight. Turnt the ice cubes out of the tray and store in an air-tight container in the freezer.
5. Enjoy on a hot summer day with your favorite drink!
|Doing my favorite things: drinking hot tea with honey lemon ice and reading a book about Food and Cooking|