Happy Mothers Day! Instead of venturing out on a very cold morning and spending an hour waiting for a table in some crowded cafe, I decided to make my own mother’s day waffles. Cooking is what I always prefer to do anyway. When you make your own waffles you can make them just the way you like them. I created this recipe to combine all of my favorite things – lemon, flaxseed and hemp hearts. If you follow me on pinterest, you probably noticed that I have a full folder titled Lemon Love, where I put all my favorite lemon recipes. I love lemon and for a good reason. Scientist found that citrus smells, in particular lemon, help boost serotonin, a feel-good hormone, and reduce levels of norepinephrine, a stress hormone. I love lemon smell so much I actually add a drop of lemon essential oil to my shampoo. Flaxseed is another favorite of mine. This tiny seed is chock full of good for you nutrients: omega 3 fatty acid, fiber, protein, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, B6, iron, potassium, copper and zinc. I start every morning by eating my homemade granola bars made with lots of toasted flax seeds and hemp hearts. Hemp hearts is another great tasting superfood full of plant based protein, fiber and omegas.
- Preheat waffle maker.
- Separate egg yolks from whites.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk the egg yolks, oil, sugar, buttermilk, lemon juice, and lemon flavor.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk gently until smooth. Do not overmix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites with a handheld mixer or a whisk until it looks like this pic.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. It should look something like this.
- Spray hot waffle iron lightly with oil and pour the batter. Follow the manufacturer’s directions my waffle maker takes about 2 cups of batter and makes 4 waffles at a time. Make more waffles in same manner.
- Serve immediately.